Seasons in the Kingdom

Seasons in the Kingdom

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

New Photos


Wayne Golden's additions

Go to this link to see the images originally taken as slides in 1962. DMZ area and Camp Kaiser.

This was Unchon-Ni in circa 1962, where all the bars were.  In recent times it was renamed Unchon City.  There were 56 bars there and maybe 2000 bar girls, lots of slicky boys too.  Girls worked for mama san and slicky boys stole from Camp Kaiser and sold what they got.  8th. Army wire dump was the biggest theft items to steal. Sometimes they were killed by our armed guards who were immediately given a free trip back to the states.  Prostitutes came thru the wire into the hooches to work at night.  $2 short time G.I. ??  Can do!   All night in the vil was $5.


1 comment:

  1. Tim, I had some of my best memories in life while in Korea. I was aquainted with many business owners, bars girls, police and just everyday citizens. They were wonderful people. I knew most of the girls since I spent all my on and off duty time in the vil I never had a problems with the natives but the G.I.'s were a different story. LOL We had a Katusa soldier assigned to our company who took care of any problem we might have with a native Korean. Kim as a super little soldier and defused any problem that arose. Most of the time it would be a drunk old man and he would handle it. We were not allowed to touch a native other than in a friendly manner. The local police stay pretty clear of the bars and only came when called.

    I hope the pics I sent give you a little more insight into where Camp Kaiser was (now turned over to Korean Army) and how close we were to the DMZ. Any N. Korea attack would have been right thru our area, we would have been wiped out in no time as it would have only been a delaying tactic to enable the southernmost units to prepare for combat.
    Later,
    Wayne

    ReplyDelete

Follow

Tim Norris | 

ROK Drop Headlines